Message to all parents/carers of students in Year 7 from the Headteacher.
We take the safety of your children as our top priority. For this reason I am passing on to you information shared with all the schools in the borough by the police regarding a series of assaults in the Lewisham and Greenwich area since June. They have said that there is no cause for alarm but recommend that students be vigilant when walking to and from school. They suggest extra precautions such as:
- Try not to walk alone – find a friend to walk with
- Do not walk down a lane or unlit road that isn’t busy with traffic or pedestrians for a short cut. Take a longer route which is safer
- Run, yell and tell. If they are approached by someone and don’t feel safe start to run, yell loudly at the same time and head towards where there are people e.g. shops
- Safe places include shops, schools, libraries, restaurants, take away shops, stations, bus stops where people are waiting
- Speak to an adult they know, if they have concerns about their safety
- Do not walk around with their headphones in and your phone out on display.
- 999 is the number to call to reach the Police in an emergency.
As you know, we always ensure that there are staff to greet your children in the morning and to safely see them leave at the end of the day. If you have any concerns please don’t hesitate to contact the school.